Hands down one of the world’s most popular apps, TikTok now wants to showcase its potential as a highly engaging platform that helps users learn new skills. Dubbed as the #TikTokU Program, this learning-centric campaign will be launched on May 25. TikTok is also looking for content creators in the Philippines who will become part of its #TikTokU Program, giving away a total of Php2M for their educational videos.
With most people staying home, this could be the perfect time to learn new skills through the short-form video platform’s extensive library of educational videos, which can be consumed in a minute or less. So why not learn a new language? Watch a quick art and crafts tutorial? Or enjoy trivia?
Community of creators
“These days, education is no longer confined to classrooms, and the ways of learning are changing, too. TikTok is giving alternative and accessible ways for the thirsty creative minds of Filipinos open to discovering new ideas. We believe that everybody deserves access to various forms of education. That is why we are launching #TikTokU. We hope users will join us in celebrating knowledge and sharing their creativity for the benefit of the wider community,” said John Castro, TikTok User, Community and Operations Manager, in a press statement.
TikTok, which recently named its new CEO, has become a thriving online community of content creators who not only entertain viewers, but also help them learn new skills. With the app’s user-centric design, anyone can effortlessly produce educational content that is creative, inspiring, and effective. Powered by top-notch machine-learning technologies, the app’s easy-to-use video capturing and editing tools instantly transform smartphones into powerful tools for teaching and sharing knowledge.
The first round of #TikTokU will kick off on May 25 with the search for creators. This first phase will focus on creators of Science and Education, DIY and Life Hacks, and Advice and Motivational content.
Entries will be categorized into four tracks, based on the user’s number of followers, to create fair and equal opportunities for all participants. The four tracks are:
- Senior Scholarship: Open to those whose followers are 500K and above on TikTok
- Junior Scholarship: Open to those with 100K to 500K followers on TikTok
- Sophomore Scholarship: Open to those with 10K to 100K followers on on TikTok
- Freshman Scholarship: Open to those with under 10K followers on TikTok
Pioneers of #TikTokU
Interested in joining the #TikTokU Program? Here’s how to submit entries.
- Entrants must create at least three entries for the campaign.
- Content must be educational and useful, and must fall under the Science and Education, DIY and Life Hacks, or Advice and Motivational themes, with the assigned hashtag/s incorporated.
- The ideal duration and format of videos are 30 seconds and above, shot on a 9:16 vertical screen.
- The campaign is open to all creators aged 18 and above from the Philippines.
- Videos must adhere to the TikTok community guidelines.
- Winners will be selected based on the total video views of all eligible videos they post during the campaign. A candidate-ranking dashboard will be updated regularly to reflect the most viewed creators in each track.
Creators selected for the #TikTokU Program will win cash rewards and become part of the #TikTokU Creator Group. TikTok will provide development and growth support to them as follows:
- Senior Scholarship (5 winners) – PHP40,000 cash, and one-to-one support for three months
- Junior Scholarship (15 winners) – PHP30,000 cash, and one-to-one support for three months
- Sophomore Scholarship (30 winners) – PHP20,000 cash, and three-month upskilling
- Freshman Scholarship (75 winners) – PHP10,000 cash, and three-month upskilling
The first round of the #TikTokU Program will run from May 25- June 15, 2020. TikTok will announce the winners on June 19.